21 December 2013

Lets talk Ulcerative Colitis...

People don't like to talk about Ulcerative Colitis which is probably why you have never heard of it. Not to worry though as until 4 years ago I had never heard of it either... now I am stuck with it Ha!

Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease which affects part of or all of the colon. Basically we all have good bacteria which is found in our colon, this bacteria works every day to fight off any bad bacteria or disease and for most people it causes no trouble at all.
For those of us with Ulcerative Colitis it's thought that our good bacteria is working overtime, trying to fight off an infection which is not there causing more harm than good.

Ulcerative Colitis is a life long incurable illness and it can only be managed with periods of 'remission'. Some people opt for surgery to try and eradicate it but this is a gamble and one which for me is definitely a last resort.

There needs to be more awareness of Ulcerative Colitis in order for more people to hear about the condition which hopefully with lead to more research and the thing we all hope for... a cure.
Please help by sharing my blog so I can share my journey with you all and show how much this condition effects people every single day and the human side to illness.

1 comment:

  1. hey, I am truly intrigued by this disease. Like you say, I have never heard of it before! It sounds awful to deal with, But you seem to stay positive, alot of people need to take a leaf out of your book I feel :)

    Thanks so much,
    Emma.x

    ReplyDelete